What to Look for When Buying a Used Car
In comparison to shopping for a new car in the Middlesex County and Ocean County areas, shopping for a used vehicle can be a bit trickier. While research is necessary to buying a new car, buying a used car requires historical research and quite a bit of digging to avoid purchasing a vehicle with a boatload of issues. Prepare yourself for the used car buying process by reading on to learn things to know before buying a used car, what to ask when buying a used car, and more with the Carpoint Auto Group finance team.
Buying from a Dealership vs. a Private Seller
There are two avenues you can take to get your hands on a used vehicle, and that’s by purchasing from a dealership or a private party. Out of the two options, your best bet is to purchase a vehicle from a dealership like Carpoint Auto Group. Unlike purchasing from a dealership, purchasing from a private dealership has more drawbacks. Private sellers don’t provide warranty, there is an increased risk of repairs, no financing, and there is a lack of consumer protection.
Things to Know Before Buying a Used Car from a Dealer
If you choose to purchase with a dealership like Carpoint Auto Group, there are a few things you should know before buying a car:
- A budget is important. Yes, buying used is cheaper than buying used, but it’s still important to have a budget in place. This takes future repairs into account, routine maintenance, and your monthly auto-payments. You can use our payment calculator to help establish a budget.
- Do your research. This is rather obvious, but do your research. Does a certain used car match your mileage expectations? Does it have the features you’re looking for? How reliable is it? (check out CarComplaints). And, how does a certain model compare to other used models? Take your time to figure out what used car is right for you.
- Test drive and inspect. Always! Test drive! New or used, you need to get behind the wheel to see how a used car drives before hitting Hudson County roads. And that includes having the vehicle inspected by a mechanic.
- Consider your financing options. When you’re set on a used vehicle, take the time to figure out your financing situation. Be sure to take into account fees like state sales tax, registration fees, and if you plan on trading in your vehicle, factor in your vehicle’s cashback value. You can find this by using our value trade tool.
What to Ask When Buying a Used Car
Research is one thing, but it usually isn’t enough to get all the information you need. That’s why you need to ask questions when you go to the dealership before going through with a purchase. Here’s what to ask when buying a used car:
- Is there a history of maintenance?
- Is the vehicle history report available?
- Do the amenities and features work like they’re supposed to?
- What is the ownership history?
- What is the vehicle’s mileage?
- Are there any current recalls on the vehicle?
- How was the vehicle priced?
- Can I take the car to a mechanic for an inspection?
- Do you have the title in hand?
- Is the car as is, or is it under warranty?
- Does this vehicle affect your insurance premiums?
Learn More About the Used Car Buying Process with Carpoint Auto Group
Carpoint Auto Group makes the process of buying a used car in South River incredibly easy. Our finance team is here every step of the way to help answer any questions. Learn more about car buying tips online, and don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.
More from Carpoint Auto Group